In recent years, doctors have learned that the body has the ability to heal itself. Platelet-rich plasma therapy is a form of regenerative medicine that can harness those abilities and amplify the natural growth factors your body uses to heal tissue.
PRP Can Be used for Many Different Types of Treatments.
At Body Lounge we use PRP for:
- PRP Hair Restoration Treatments
- PRP Shot for Erectile Dysfunction
- PRP Shot for Women’s Sexual Health & Urinary Incontinence
- For Skin Repair with PRP Injections & PRP Micro-Needling (Scars, Hyperpigmentation, Melasma, Tone & Texture, Fine Lines & Wrinkles)
What is plasma and what are platelets?
Plasma is the liquid portion of whole blood. It is composed largely of water and proteins, and it provides a medium for red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets to circulate through the body. Platelets, also called thrombocytes, are blood cells that cause blood clots and other necessary growth healing functions.
Platelet activation plays a key role in the body’s natural healing process.
What is platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and what are PRP injections?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy uses injections of a concentration of a patient’s own platelets to accelerate the healing.
PRP injections are prepared by taking anywhere from one to a few tubes of your own blood and running it through a centrifuge to concentrate the platelets. These activated platelets are then injected directly into the treatment area. This releases growth factors that stimulate and increase the number of reparative cells your body produces.
What do Platelets do?
Platelets release growth factors which regulate the healing cascade by signaling to surrounding cells to repair damaged tissue and regenerate new tissue.
Key growth factors involved in this process include but are not limited to:
- Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF)
- Transforming Growth Factor group (TGF)
- Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF)
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF)
- Fibroblast Growth Factor (FGF)
- Keratinocyte Growth Factor (KGF)